Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Back in Europe...6 Years Later


Okay, so I stink for not keeping up on my blog. I hope to add ONE new blog a week from now on, I promise. I want to update you on some of our favorite things thus far in our new home and new country:
1. The house is HUGE and we now have room for all of our stuff...even the stuff we never unpacked in Arizona and may not get unpacked here.
2. Bennett says that his school rocks. He said that the worst thing he heard in the hallways so far is the word, "stupid."
3. The yards here are great. We have GRASS. In Arizona, as you may recall, we had a rock yard full of weeds and thistles.
4. We have no t.v. I know, I know, you may think we are crazy. BUT, Nora and Bennett are actually creating things. Bennett has written several "books" and I have read about 4 books since we arrived.
5. Chocolate...awesome sweets are everywhere. I need to send you all some!
6. Cows, horses, and sheep graze in our backyard.
7. Rustic buildings and rolling hills are around every corner.
8. The cheese is to die for!
9. Chad doesn't leave for work until 8 and is home by 630p.m. every night!
10. The flowers are so beautiful, and are inexpensive.
Okay, now 10 things that we miss or find a bit annoying...
1. There is no fast food, therefore, I have to cook every night. All though, this is a good thing b/c both Chad and I have lost about 8 lbs each!
2. I hate the way the Belgians drive...and you know how much I love to drive.
3. Our house is beautiful, but LOUD LOUD LOUD. 10 foot ceilings and no carpet...can you hear the echos of three kids running and screaming through the house?
4. The commisary is 40 mins. away. We go there once a week, b/c the dollar is so weak and to shop on the economy is VERY VERY expensive.
5. I have yet to see a park for Nora to play at.
6. Belgium is NOT Germany.
7. My kitchen has one cupboard.
8. My kitchen sink is as big as a shoebox.
9. The downstairs toilet room does not have a sink...only a toilet.
10. The shower is in the downstairs. So, I have to gather my clothes for the day and walk downstairs to shower and dress. There is an upstairs "shower" per se, but it leaks. So, the kiddos use the upstairs bathtub for their bathroom.
Overall, we love it here. Some things are hard to get used to, but we are adjusting. I hope to keep you posted more often.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) Send me chocolate - it's free via MPS.

2) The commissary sucks here too. It's 30-40 mins away and the size of a mini-shoppette. Since I'm trying to rid my life of most canned foods and processed food, I'm left buying some junk food that Matt thinks he can't live w/o, sour cream, Old-Fashioned quaker oats, apple juice, frozen meats (pickings are often slim), Cherrios and a few other random things. With tolls and gas, it costs about $10 to drive there and back. So, I go about once a month and drop $150. If people would actually fill out their COLA surveys, I think we'd get enough money so that I could avoid the place all-together and just have someone pick up sour cream (you can't find it around here at all) for me every couple of months. The rest I can find around here - just at a higher cost than I'm willing to pay.
3) You have no TV - you may have inspired me to give up our TV too (aside from Netflix and some laugh shows with Matt at night). The three shows I watch via our SlingPlayer are over for the season, and Liv recently gave up cartoons and movies for books on CD and home videos. Therefore, the TV's been off a lot. If I shut off the TV, I should give up much of my computer use when the kids are up. We'll be at the beach before we know it anyway.

4) Belgium sounds beautiful! While we love it here by the beach, there's something about green fields, mountains and grazing sheep (like in Bavaria) that has a certain pull! I'm almost jealous!

5) I haven't lost a pound b/c while we don't eat fast food, I love to cook and bake and have no portion control whatsoever!

6) Can't wait to read your weekly updates!

Angie said...

So,somehow I thought that I'd been commenting. Apparently, I've just been lurking instead.

We definitely want to go to belgium while we are here. Your kitchen does not sound good. I would be very distressed about the cabinets, though the rest of your house sounds nice. Our kitchen doesn't have enough space, either. After we've (meaning all military spouses) lived in all of these different homes, we'll know what we really want once we've finally settled.