Sunday, May 15, 2011

There is no place like home...

Master Bedroom
Upstairs hallway. I made it a family photo gallery.

Livingroom


Bennett's Room


Nora's Room


Ella's Room


Staircase and front door.
Front of our house.


Kitchen


Dining Room


Unfinished basement, but I made it a playroom/computer area for us.


Full view of what the homes look like here at Ft. Leavenworth.



When we moved back to the USA, I knew the transition would be hard. The kids were jet lagged, we had to spend enormous amounts of money for new appliances, rental cars, hotels, restaurants, traveling and so on...the list keeps just going and going. Registering a new car cost $1,500 alone. And, my Expedition is still sitting in St. Louis waiting for my DH(dear husband) to pick it up upon his return from Alaska...he has been TDY for the past two weeks and is to return in a few days. Last weekend, he got to encounter a "Once in a lifetime experience," as he went deep sea fishing in Homer, AK. I was not too happy with this, as we are on a tight budget and he spent about $500 for this event. I am a bit anxious about his new job...he will be TDY every month for about half of the month, making this assignment rough on the kids and myself. But back to our transition. The day that Chad checked into his new unit and went to housing, he received keys to our home. We live in Pottawatomie Village in a four bedroom two and a half bath home. It is large and spacious and also has a fenced in backyard for the kids to play in. And, it is only one block from a great park. Here is our new address and telephone numbers:


Weyhrauch

137 Hunt Road

Fort Leavenworth, KS 66027

Brenda's Cell -- 913-702-7006

Chad's Cell -- 913-702-70025


Hopefully, this will be our address for the next three years. Chad is working for the BCTP training battalions to deploy, and that is why he will be traveling so much. I was told by his COL that if he goes somewhere exciting, say Hawaii or Germany, I may accompany him and I would only have to purchase my airline ticket. This job is scheduled to end in two years and then Chad will go to a course called ILE or CGSC here at Fort Leavenworth for the third year. I have applied for teaching jobs in three different districts. I have missed teaching and am praying hard that I obtain a position in the fall.


Now, back to what makes our lives easier living in the USA:


1. We live ON POST. Therefore, I can get to the PX and Commissary in 5 minutes.


2. The house is great...there is a ton of storage, a bedroom for each child, a master bedroom with a walk in closet and master bath, closets, a refrigerator in the kitchen, a laundry room, a fenced in backyard, a huge two car garage, lawn maintenance for the front yard, playgrounds, neighbors...it is so convenient and fabulous.


3. The kids can be in sports and activities and it only takes me 5 minutes to get them there. They are currently in ballet, soccer, jujitsu, golf, and gymnastics.


4. The kids have friends right across the street to play with.


5. Fort Leavenworth is a beautiful, historic post.


6. I am only 6 hours from my family an they have already been here to help me unpack.


7. I am only 4 hours from my dad and Lisa and they have been here to help with, well, everything from hanging curtains to putting together our patio heater.


8. The kids, for the first time in 15 years, get to have FAMILY near. They absolutely craved having aunties and uncles and grandparents that they get to see on a regular basis.


9. I can go SHOPPING in actual STORES. I went to Hobby Lobby and purchased a TON of things for virtually no money. When I got to the check out, I said, "This is the first time in three years that I have been to Hobby Lobby." The check out lady rolled her eyes and said, "That's what they all say, girl." And, I went onto explain that I have lived in Europe for three years and she said, "Bless your heart!"


10. We do not have to pay utility bills. As you know, our utility bills in Belgium were outrageous. Now, I have AC and HEAT and I get to stay WARM or COOL when I need to !!


Things we miss about Belgium:


1. Nora & Ella's school...it was phenomenal and they were comfortable there. Needless to say, Nora is having a hard transition here in the US school system. She says, "It is too easy and there is too much stuff in the room!


2. Bennett's friends...he has been upset from the start. He says that the kids here are immature. I think this is due to the fact that he attended an international school and it was grades 7-12. Hopefully, he will find his niche.


3. My friends...I miss them so very much. Since Chad is BCTP and most of the people that live on our street are families whose spouse is in class for one year, making friends has proven to be interesting. Everyone here has "short timers" mind sets.


4. We miss traveling to neat places.


5. I miss my grocery store right down the street from our home.


6. I miss some aspects of our home...the character. Our current home has NO character what-so-ever.


7. I miss the fact that we had no television. We got cable here and I somewhat regret this. I have been sucked in as have the kiddos. I think that I will have to monitor our television usage more. The kids played more in Belgium.



We are transitioning well ... it has been a fast pace. Since the home is put together, I am planning on enjoying our children this summer and letting them experience what it means to live in the U.SA.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

The house looks great - you move fast! And, you reminded me that I have to go through pictures and get some more framed and in photo books. I'm a few years behind, shamefully.

I'm glad you got the new housing. We were offered a total dump. Matt is generally happy with whatever the Army gives him - but, that place was so bad, he was infuriated. He said I wouldn't even been able to live in it anyway with my bad allergies and they had nothing else to offer (unless I went EFMP of course - but, I didn't). So, we bought a house. Fortunately, the ppl who rented it, will be in Leavenworth a total of four years. So, whew! Then, we'll sell.

Anyway, I can imagine the transition from Europe the US must be hard on the kids. Hopefully, since you're living on post, they'll make friends over the summer and the transition will be a thing of the past.

Our girls are immersed in the German system for schooling and if we keep them in, we'll be in the same boat. I'll be interesting in hearing how your kids adapt further.